Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wow...History?!!

I have never been a history person.  I really just have no interest.  The only history I love to read about are the stories in the Bible.  I guess I like stories and history never really came to life to me like a story, therefore I didn't like it.  But the Bible.....man is it alive!!  These stories are so amazing.  They are becoming more and more alive to me and I just can't get enough!  I am reading through the book of Acts right now.  Wow!!  The stories of the apostles and what they did and how they lived to spread the gospel is amazing.  They worked SOOO hard!  They had to go against so much to spread the gift of Jesus Christ.  As I read through the chapter, all I think of is this song and how my heart longs to live like that!!
 
Harper had a project he had to do about a missionary.  He picked David Livingstone.  I have actually heard about him before in school so the whole missionary thing wansn't highlighted.  He set out to spread the gospel to Africa in the 1800's.  (Now this is where I usually doze off because history begins)  So I have to read some and explain to Harper what he did as a missionary.  I read and couldn't get enough.  This man was a true missionary and he dedicated his whole life to the great commision!  His life verse:  "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." (Matt. 28:18-20).  He did such amazing things.  First of all he said yes to the call to GO to Africa and then when he was there, he gave his all.  He was attacked by lions, was sick with numerous diseases, left his family for over 5 years to go across a dessert to reach central Africa (he tried with his family and one of his children died from them traveling 4 days without water), his body was failing him and yet he never stopped.  He died when he was 60 yearss old and all I picture is a man with a totally broken and worn out body.  Totally broken and worn out due to giving his ALL to spread the gospel.  I read this article (listed below) and this is what was written about how he died:
Remember, he died on his knees! Was his Lord's presence with him even unto the end? He died in the act of prayer! His last words were praying words. He was not alone! He was talking to Somebody! As he entered the valley of shadows and took the road across the river, David Livingstone was holding sweet converse with the One who was his Unfailing Companion on every shore, in every solitude, and on every trail!!
I want to live every minute of my life serving, praying, and living a life consencrated to the work of Jesus Christ! 


No comments: