Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Harper's Room

 
I got a little excited when I saw headboards made out of pallets on pinterest!  I have been needing to do Harper's room and I was just too inspired by these things to not try it out.  So after scoping out the neighborhood for someone doing a home improvement project, we finally found our friends with a stack of pallets. 
 

 
Matt loaded them up in his car and we were so excited to get our "free" project underway! 


The worst part was taking off each of the pieces of wood with a crow bar and being careful not to crack them.  Matt got help from his sideckick :) 

 We felt so accomplished at this point.  In one day, he removed the wood, cut it to the right size, and I had arranged them into the pattern I wanted. 
 We flipped it over and added back braces to keep the wood together.  Again we were on cloud 9, thinking this project would be over soon.
 We flipped it over and then I decided it needed to have a frame around it.  Project over for the night (we worked several nights until 11) and would resume the next night with cutting out the frame. 
 Then we realized it had to be sanded.....this project is getting long.....but Harper had a part in the construction and he was super cute too!
 I was constantly measure, comparing, and laying out wood.  (Like all the lights??  I told you we worked late)
 Our cheer squad was quite wiggly and loud!
 
 Then we had to make a stand to stick it on so that it could attach to the bed.....again this project is getting longer and longer.
Then we had to put polyurthane on it (I just deleted that picture) but you get the jist that there were way more steps than I originally planned here.

 Attaching it to the bed!
 Ahhhhh....complete.......oh wait.......before this back wall was blue, we brought the headboard up the stairs and realized it didn't "pop" like I had wanted it to, so I had to buy a gallon of navy paint and paint a wall.  longer and longer.......
 
The final product came out great and we love it!  It was a fun family project!
I also had my friend Dana sew the navy on the bottom of the white curtains, we made the cornice boards and then I made a frame out of the pallets for a nautical map.  I painted the nautical flags too.  The room was a total DIY project and I had a blast doing it.  (And thanks to Elizabeth for this nice wide angle picture :)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Ahem....and the accent wall!