Thursday, February 20, 2014

Frozen

So I have been very slack on this blog lately, and I fully intend to back fill all that has happened, but I had to post about the Disney movie Frozen.  My children have never seen a Disney princess movie.  I know, GASP, 4 girls and no princess movies, but I was convicted several years ago about TV and movie watching and try to keep them to a very limited amount of things that they watch.  This has been a decision Matt and I made for our family and the kids don't mind at all.  So now we plan a trip to Disney World and my curiosity perked to see Frozen.   
 
We previewed the movie and I was actually blown away at how good it was!  It wasn't like any other Disney movie I had ever seen!  It paralleled Christianity, in my eyes, so vividly and I knew this was a teaching video I could use for my girls and their identity in Christ!!
Before I break it down, let me give you a little background information on some things I have been learning.  I just finished reading this book called the Supernatural Ways of Royalty and learned a lot about my role as a parent in speaking words to my children that build them up for the life they have in Christ.  You see when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we become children of a KING!  We are ROYALTY!!!  So for my daughters, I tell them they are princesses.  Carly and Chloe have prayed for salvation and are apart of the Kingdom of God and have a new identity.  I want them to know this and I want them to know who they are and have confidence in that identity.   
So now how in the world does a Disney movie come anywhere close to teaching my children about their identity in Christ??  These are totally my own opinions and there are several things I wasn't that fond about, but just hear me out on the big picture things!! 
 
The first character I will introduce is Elsa.  She was born into royalty.  Just like when you accept salvation in Jesus Christ, you become royalty in the Kingdom of God.  When you accept Jesus you are given a gift.  The gift of the Holy Spirit.  My daughters are young and I am aware that they probably have a hard time grasping that concept.  I know I did when I was saved young, so that is why I just loved this visual for them so that they can see (not that they have magical powers, but they are equipped with all the power of Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit).  Well, when Elsa was born her gift was to freeze things.  She didn't know what to do with that gift and what its purpose actually was.  Her parents didn't like this "gift" in her and told her to conceal it, don't feel it.  They hid her from everyone so that no one would know what she was capable of.  Sounds a lot like how Satan tries to blur our vision of what the Holy Spirit in us can do!  You see, Elsa's power would get out of control when she felt things...... like fear.  When Satan can keep us in a state of fear, he can control us into a pauper mentality that we don't deserve the gift of the Holy Spirit.  As soon as we become a child of God, attacks from Satan are going to try to keep us in a sedated state because he knows what a soldier for Christ is capable of once they listen and obey the Holy Spirit. 
Next is her sister Anna.  Her character reminded me of Jesus.  I know that is a little hefty title, but let me explain.  She loved her sister immensely.  When her parents cut Elsa off to the world, they cut Anna out too.  But that didn't stop her from trying.  A lot of times new believers (like Elsa) get saved, don't know what to do, and end up shutting Jesus out of their lives.  But Jesus keeps knocking.  He desperately wants a relationship with all His children.  Here is a song from the movie that just shows how hard Anna tries to have a relationship with her sister. 
Can't you just see the heartache in Anna.  God has that heartache too when we shut Him out.  When we don't want to have a relationship and don't want to learn about the gift He has given us!  Anna at the end *spoiler alert* selflessly dies for her sister.  It is a reminder how Christ died for us.  No matter how we (like Elsa) run, He is there.  He is there to unconditionally love us.  To show His love no matter what!  And at that moment, Elsa realizes what love really is and how sad she is for pushing her sister away.  She then comes back alive and Elsa then fully understands her gift.  It is just like us.  When we fully understand what Jesus did for us and the gift He has imparted to us, we can then use that Gift for His glory in the right way.  This is the "princess" story that I wanted my daughters to hear.  That they have been given a gift.  They are in a growing stage right now.  They are understanding and learning.  Satan will creep fear in.  Satan will try to attack - which this dude totally made me think of how attacks feel in our lives: 
But when we learn to "let it go" and let true love (God's love) melt a frozen heart, then we can be used in the Kingdom of God to be a witness to His miracles, signs and wonders!!!  I don't want my daughters to be frozen Christians.  I want them to be Princesses in God's Kingdom that can be used to do great and mighty things for His glory.  I don't want them to conform to this world.  I want them to be empowered with the message of letting go of Satan's grips and grabbing tightly onto the freedom of their Father! 
 
 
 Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for these 2 precious girls that You gave to us.  Thank You for their salvation and their sweet hearts.  Thank You for giving us the task of raising them.  Lord, we want Your direction to guide them so continue showing us through Your Word where we should go.  We ask that You raise them up and use them for Your glory.  Protect them and equip them to be ready for battle for Your Kingdom.  Lord, give them boldness and courage.  Remove satan's attempts to use fear as a foothold in their lives.  Give them confidence in their identity so that they won't falter.  Thank You Lord for them and the joy that they bring to our lives.  Thank You Lord for us being able to learn together.  Lord, You are our Righteous King and worthy of our praise.  You are our shepherd and mighty Father.  Thank You for saving us and taking us into Your royal family.  Thank You for Your Son and the gift of Your Holy Spirit.  Amen.
Isaiah 61:10-11 I delight greatly in the Lord;
    my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
    and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
    and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
For as the soil makes the sprout come up
    and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness
    and praise spring up before all nations.

No comments: