Saturday, January 21, 2012

I need Mommy!

Last night I was getting Channing ready for bed and Matt is in charge of getting the big 4 ready. I heard a loud thud followed by crying. I knew Matt had it under control and the crying stopped. I was putting Channing in bed and Matt came in carrying Harper with an ice pack on his eye. He laid him in my bed and said he needed me. I came back in the room, hopped in bed with him, and cuddled. Then Matt told me he fell into the night stand. Matt consoled him and got him an ice pack and when he was done crying he told Matt, "I want Mommy!" Oh, yank at my heart strings! Harper is very tough and usually doesn't need me at all. He will get hurt, may come to me for a kiss, but never a true need for me. So yes, I stayed in that bed, cuddled him, kissed his eye, put a blanket on his cheek so that it wouldn't be cold from the ice pack, read him a story, and prayed for his wound. I will hold onto that memory, because it was so special to hear that he needed me and what I can give him.

Then I sit and think how bad does it have to get for us to cry out "I need my Jesus!" How many times do we fall down, brush ourselves off, and keep going - taking care of our own wounds. How many times when we are so stuffy and can't breathe, do we just run to CVS and get something to just soothe our aches and pains. I am reading an amazing book right now, Kisses From Katie, and she makes things so real. After completing high school she went to go teach Kindergarten in Uganda for a year. She documents what real pain is. She documents what true need is. She documents what true faith is. Within a year she set up a ministry (Amazima) and adopted 14 kids! Yes, she is just out of high school. I am amazed at her obedience to God. I am amazed at how we think we know what pain and heart ache is when the images of innocent children who are starving and long for love are so vivid when reading this book. My mind can't even rest. I keep finding myself trying to hide away in my bedroom to read more. I think I could continue typing for a while, but I must stop and feed my children - remember that Jesus loves you and you can always call out "I need my Jesus!" and He will be there for you!

No comments: