Saturday, January 29, 2011

Constantly Being Watched

Not only am I watched 24/7 by my own children, but when out in public I am often glared down. I know I am a sight - the crazy lady with 4 little kids and one on the way, but sometimes the stares burn in the back of your head!! I went to the mall this morning (something that is never usually done on the weekends, but I had a few things I needed to do so we were just going to be in and out). So there were alot more people around than usual. I felt like I had to be on my toes at all times because of how much I am watched! I have gotten used to it over the years, I mean when you start off with twins, they are automatic head turners to begin with. The only thing that I have figured out how to deal with it, is to smile! Often seeing my family makes old people smile, so why not stop and let them chat with us and let them have their looks, they just want to enjoy my kids like I do! When people ask really silly questions, I don't get irritated, I just answer and smile and tell them a fun fact about what they are asking about. When people comment that I am: crazy, have my hands full, brave, don't know how I do it, or better you than me (yes people say these things) I simply smile and say I love it! (Side note: my favorite comments are when you compliment my children!) When the girls were little I did get a little annoyed that any shopping trip required extra time because I would get stopped. Now I know that any trip requires longer because I will get asked lots of questions. I actually do enjoy speaking to lots of strangers, because these are actually the only people I come in contact with now besides friends and church members. And I do like letting them know that I truly am happy, yes, I love my family like crazy!! I know my actions and interactions with my kiddos speak louder than words, so I know that I have to be on my toes. So now add extremely large pregnant and the stares and conversations intensify!! Every single person needed to know when I was due and what I was having! And now add a bit of a "handicap" look to me. Wow!! It was stare after stare. I never really realized how you can tell what people look at when they begin their conversations. I get looked at in the face then they look at my bag strapped to my leg and then back up at me. I don't mind it, because I know it is not permanent and I usually tell them what it is for (you know they are dying to know), but I wonder how many times we actually do that to people with handicaps. I bet that would bother people a lot if it was something that you had to live with and your situation was constantly being looked at. I have quickly become aware of it and I am going to try very hard next time I speak with someone with a handicap to constantly look at them in the eye and not "check out" what is wrong.

No comments: